27 May 2013

Tim with a Twist

Hi everyone. Firstly thank you to those of you who have been kind enough to visit and the lovely comments left for me. I appreciate the support from you all more than you will ever know. Secondly humble apologies for not having kept up to date with returning the compliment - it has been a really busy time over the last week and priorities have lain elsewhere I'm afraid. However, as it's half term here for the rest of the week that will all be rectified very soon.


Crafting time has been in short supply too, and when you get overtired it seems to slow the whole process down which gets frustrating. Still, I managed to take inspiration from Tim Holtz' May tag and put my own spin on it. You can get the low-down on the original HERE.


It's not a card (that's obvious) and I didn't want to cover the distressed background with too much stamping as it would have made the whole balance fall apart. Having initially been sceptical about the use of rub-ons I am now a convert. They add so much crisp detail and remain flat; rather useful if you want to add things on top as I did here with the watch parts.


The colours are a bold combo of Fired Brick, Peacock Feathers and Crushed Olive with the edges blended in Walnut Stain. The rub-ons are from the Numbers set, the stamping using Stampers Anonymous Classics 1 and Simple Sayings.


It was fun stamping the compass many times on white paper and ripping it all apart to achieve the layered effect. When it came to adding words the full size sentiment seemed too large so stamping it on shrink plastic was an obvious solution. My 'enamelled element' is the centre of the compass, covered in several layers of white EP and deliberately cracked when dry to give an aged appearance. Taking shots of this was difficult but hopefully you can get a sense of the sheen the EP created on it.


So that's it for another month. Wonder what Mr Holtz will puzzle/astound/challenge us with in June. I'm just one of those who can't wait for his new fabrics to hit the shops - my proper sewing machine is going to have to be rehoused downstairs somehow as it is going to be pressed into service methinks!
Time to go visit rellies on this sunny Bank Holiday, but I'll be back soon to catch up with the goings on in your crafty lives. 'Til then take care of yourselves, hugs Jenny x

35 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant take on Tim's project - I've always been sceptical of rub-ons having had some bad experiences with them in the past but I'm sure his are excellent as are all his products. Hope you manage more crafting time soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - the bold colours really pay off against the resist areas of the rub-ons and that dramatic ripped centrepiece, and I just love your dimensional compass.
    Hope you have a great day with the family today, and enjoy the sunshine and some rest!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you've done this and how the colourful background plays a deserved leading role :)
    Suzi B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, I love this! my favourite bit is the dimension you have given the compass by layering and embossing it and the watch parts are a perfect size for the project. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Jenny, as always. Love that colourful background and all your 3d elements
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Buttons. Wow...I LOVE that you have done something different!!! I looks fantastic.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such clever and artistic design skills Jenny. I so wish I could do backgrounds like this. The rubons look fab and your compass and sentiment brilliantly takes centre stage (well slightly off centre but you know what I mean!). Do enjoy your week! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have turned Tim's tag on it's head and put your own spin on it. This is fantastic with all the layers and textures
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning project. Hugs Rita xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow love this Alison, great colour combo and the white space really gives it clarity.

    Sam xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. make sure you rest up too! a stunning take on tims tags ...love your use of the compass die hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your tag on Tim's tag Jennie, the colours are bold and complementary providing that touch of drama to hold the rest of the fabulous details. Your focal image captures our attention immediately and contrasts beautifully with the rest of the design.
    Hope you have had a good Bank Holiday.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully done! Your compass is perfection. I really like the layered look you achieved on your compass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colours Jenny, they blend together beautifully. The compass is the perfect centre piece. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore that compass, Jenny. Can't beat a nice bit of ripping and tearing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project with strong colours and images

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE that colour combo Alison !
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. loving the ripping and tearing, fab project. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great result Jenny...rich colours and then that white popping off the cards...great details...lovely!

    kind regards, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow this is gorgeous and a wonderful masculine creation.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful background first of all and the rest is perfect too. The central compass holds the rest of the design just perfectly, - love your take on Tim's tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jenny, I really, really love your take on Tim's tag, the colours are fabulous, the rub-ons (I love them too) are fabulous and the compass with the embossed middle is so creative - your work is always such an inspiration to me. I think Tim will like this very much. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  23. There have been a few times I have felt a good ripping was in order, but for completely different reasons! Love your take on Tim's May tag! The colors are awesome and I love the framing with images and rubs! Very cool! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving your colours and the compass is fab. xx Flora

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really gorgeous take on Tim's tag! Love the bright colors and the ripped center piece! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cool, a gorgeous take on Tim's tag.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eat your heart out Tim - Jenny's is better! You have such wonderful elements on your piece all coming together beautifully. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm another one who hasn't liked rub-ons in the past but these look really good and I've only heard great things about them so I've ordered and don't think I'll be disappointed. Your artwork on this is fabulous Jenny - love the bright colours and the addition of the watch parts. Love, Margie xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just fabulous Jenny!!! I love that you did a card! The white really pops...love that idea! Awesome take!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Morning Jenny, I love your take on Tim's May tag, beautiful colours and gorgeous decoupage compass. I, too, can't wait for Tim's fabrics to hit the UK, I love them all.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another great creative take on the Tim tag! love your ideas x

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful Jenny, love the way you've laid the images around the outside. Great blending and use of the colours with the stark contrast of the white to draw the eye. All in all, a fab project. Have a great half term. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. If I was standing on a boat and the sun was reflecting into the water, the colors would blend just like this. I love that you captured these hues together the way you did and placing the torn compass base to it just fits perfectly. This is a very relaxing and inspiring piece of art you've created here. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is fabulous Jenny, from your bold colours to your compass within a compass, just perfect! Enjoy your half term xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this gorgeous color combo, Jenny! I too am a convert to these rub-ons. Your spin on May is fab and I just love how you did the compass.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...