20 May 2012

Patriotic May Tag

And so, a foray into the world of the Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of 2012 Challenge. I drew inspiration from Anne and used what I had in my crafty stash to create this entry.


To begin I stamped an Andy Skinner sewing image in navy onto greaseproof paper, and then glued it to some white card, wrinkling it up as much as possible without distorting the image too much. The sewing machine image from Sam Poole was stamped into the corner in red ink, and the edges of the card distressed with Walnut Stain. To finish the background another of Sam Poole's vintage sewing images, the dressform, was stamped and embossed in black Archival Ink.


The coat hanger was made out of a paperclip, and the metal charm started life as a piece of quiche tin, die cut and embossed using a Spellbinders charm die, and distressed lightly with black Archival Ink. I used a 'what if' moment to good effect to make the Union Jack button which adorns it - having quite a few plain white buttons it occurred to me that they could be altered using Promarkers. The hanger was then attached with coloured staples.


The tape measure was created by stamping another Sam Poole vintage sewing image on the reverse of a piece of grey ribbon using Stazon so it wouldn't bleed. To make it stand out I used red cotton and did a bit of hand-sewing (makes a change from repairing the holes in trouser knees or mending socks!!) The flowers were die cut (SB Rose Creations) using the smallest die in navy, red, white and green card, joined together with twisted silver wire and pearl beads, and given a couple of dunks in UTEE. Chopping up a cotton reel wasn't working, so I layered up cardboard, covered it with greaseproof paper and stamped it with a cotton reel image. Finally a safety pin was glued over the reel and extra staples were added.


Overall this piece came out pretty much as planned and taught me a few things along the way, which I guess is what Tim's challenges are all about.

Thanks to everyone who stops by, and huge thanks to those who leave such lovely comments. Slowly but surely my little blog is growing and I'm getting to discover the work of some uber-talented peeps. Hugs to you all, Buttons x

8 comments:

  1. This is another Wowee moment Buttons, you don't need to take inspiration from me girl - your ideas are amazing. I love that inspired coat hanger and the medallion with the union jack button, not to mention the flowers. Just brilliant! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is awesome. I love that charm you made! I thought it was already made. So cool. I love the measuring tape you made by stamping on the ribbon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Buttons this is brilliant. Loving it all but particularly the button !! No really absolutely fab. Did I see that you made Top 3 again on MMM ? Hugs. Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous! I love the sewing theme and the vintage look. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your use of bits and pieces is just terrific!.
    Love all the techniques you applied to make this all come together in a very cohesive tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers! Love the whole tag, and the way you've added the flag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...loVe your take on Tim's Tag...great improvisation & use of embellishments, beautiful work...Mel :)
    I was on Anne's blog and saw your name Buttons & just had to click, you have a loVely inspiring blog with so many beautiful posts...I'm your new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous tag, Love the coat hanger and Union Jack button, a great improvisation!
    Avril

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...