19 October 2012

What's In The Pot?

Welcome to followers new and old. I appreciate that you spend some of your precious time with me, especially when you leave comments too. It feels like an age since I've posted a project, but it's all been in the name of getting those creative juices flowing after Kettering (and you all know how much I enjoyed that!) Three projects finished which I am happy with - makes a change - and here's the first of them...


This is being entered into the following challenges;
Warning: there are going to be quite a few photos/explanations, including a tutorial for a way to use the new Sizzix diffusers, so grab a coffee and a snack to help keep your strength up. It'll be worth it:)


Focusing first on the pot - it's a paper mache one that I got as part of a prize from Woodware. Dorothy from Woodware emailed me out of the blue and told me to spend some money on Woodware products, so I headed off to The Stamp Man to get some goodies. It was always going to hold my brads (some already in the stash and some as another part of the prize) and then I decided to make it something I would enjoy having on the desk every day.


The bottom half has been covered in embossed metal tape - you may notice that the folders have been mixed (one is the Honeycomb Texture Fade and one a Creative Expressions flower folder). Here's how I did this bit using my beloved diffusers (for those in the UK, available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique) ...


Yes, you can mix the folders! They will only emboss in the parts which are covered - tape essential!!


Fill in the 'gaps' with the other folder...


You just need to line up the corresponding inner diffuser shape with the area left by the outer diffuser.


When completed, just add alcohol inks and then rub with steel wire.


I added more colour using Promarkers and my finger!! The lid was covered in Walnut Stain Distress Ink and another purchase from The Stamp Man, Walnut Stain Distress Embossing Powder.


The rose needed to be autumnal so having made it with metal foil I covered it in Indigo Blu Mega Flakes 'Morris Dance' - yes WOYWWers, I made three, and then decided to use just one! The leaves are Coredinations cardstock covered in Cosmic Shimmer Mist in Silver and edged with DI Walnut Stain.


The butterfly (a Craft Stamper freebie) and the bee (from The Stamp Man) were embossed onto vellum and coloured with mica paint, and yes Hels, I even cut the antennae out on the butterfly:)


My hidden element is a life afirming message to me hidden in the lid - hope Sue C. approves:)

Well, the weekend approaches and I have something special to get finished in time for next Thursday. If you are up for it there'll be a much shorter post tomorrow - my October Tim tag.
Huge hugs to you all and I hope you have a fab weekend, Buttons x

35 comments:

  1. Wow, your box is gorgeous, love every detail.

    Have a lovely Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Buttons ! I love it and I so approve of your sentiment ! I'm also loving the way you've used your diffusers on the metal tape, that's certainly got me thinking !
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can say WOW! Thisis absolutely stunning! The colors, textures and style works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buttons , this is a work of art , a real beauty and I LOVE it!!!! Ww I need some diffusers...me thinks?! The box looks gorgeous a treasure to hold treasures! Great work, trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm virtually applauding you Buttons! This IS an inspirational piece of work that is sure to be a daily motivation for you. Your tutorial was sensational and now on my wish list and the sentiment inside the lid...just perfect!
    You've captured autumn on a gorgeous circle box and the elements of fall colors on your flower and the winged butterfly are tremendous! What a pleasure to read your post. :)
    hugs,
    Lisa xx
    Thank you also for joining the challenge at Our Creative Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous box and how great to have it on the desk to enjoy every day. Thanks so much for sharing the techniques too - love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, how fab putting the two embossing things next to each other, methinks I need some of those diffusers! Love the Distress Embossed lid, tis one of my fave products but I always forget to use it! THanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x
    *btw, cutting out the antenna? you are a perfectionist ;o)) *

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of the diffusers, thanks for sharing the process for that.

    Lovely box, fantastic detail.

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mixed metal finishes and creative approach to these materials!!! So glad you could join us at Frilly & Funky!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buttons
    This is very special. To create this from scratch is so impressive. Amazing texture and colour achieved and that life affirming message tucked inside is the cherry on the icing on a very special cake.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! oh! Wow! Fantastic work Sue. A treasure box indeed. Love your techniques. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where to start? You rock those diffusers like no one I know!!! The metal wrap is absolutely brilliant, and love the embossed designs you choose! Fab top and the sentiment inside is perfect! What a grand little storage space!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative can one be??? Woww I love this little box, Buttons...you did so well with all the ideas on it.
    Big compliment!

    Have a nice weekend, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning little pot, i love how you have mixed the folders.
    Nice choice of designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's breathtaking, a wonderful altered box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As William Morris said "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful". I think your gorgeous box fits this perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Buttons, what a triumph this box is, I really love the mixed embossing (keep putting off getting those diffusers but getting a bit shaky now). Your flower is stunning, as are the leaves. The whole box is so beautiful and what an inspiring message to read every time you open it - love it! Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. O my word, What a fabulous project..Thank you for the tutorial, love what you have done with the embossing folders! the flower is Brilliant also! the box is stunning inside & out... Love it!!! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely glorious pot, Buttons! I love the blues and browns (well, of course I do), and the gold is a glorious addition. The tutorial on how to use the diffusers to get that great effect is so cool - thank you for sharing it. Fabulous sentiment; also just having this on your desk every day will be life-affirming! Gorgeous work - love it to bits...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous Buttons, love how you have used the diffusers, so clever.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant and thank you for explaining about the diffuser technique--I can't wait to try that.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning! Thanks for sharing the diffuser technique, I am so going to try that one!

    ReplyDelete




  23. ***********SUPERBE
    BRAVOSSSSSSSSSS

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH MY STARS!!! This is unbelievably cool, not to mention gorgeous. I will be using my diffusers now, thank you very much!

    And thanks also for the chuckle over keeping our strength up with a snack while reading this post. It was a fabulous tute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! this box is amazing! how clever :) love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did I manage to miss this Buttons? It is totally and absolutelt breathtaking and you have use my new best toy - Diffusions too!
    A masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  27. If this doesn't win something, then I will be struck dead instantly! This is AMAZINGLY STUNNING!!! Gorgeous use of elements--especially dry embossing! A fabulous creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is fantastic - so much texture and I love the idea of the message hidden inside the lid. Thanks for sharing fab techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My goodness what a fabulous work of art! So much detail and the whole box is a masterpiece! Very well done indeed, this must be a family heirloom now! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is fabulous Buttons. A very stunning project indeed.

    TFS

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just popped over from Hels blog - amazing project, love it and thanks for the inspiration, brain is whirring with ideas.

    Joan x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so difussed by this work of art! Holy Cow, this is stunning and I just love how clever you are! Oh and I love this!!!! Thank you so much for playing along at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning box Buttons - love the embossing round the side (thanks for the step-by-step) and the flower on the top is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think that WOW is an understatement! this is lovely and a great step by step. I am glad you have had fun with your Woodware bits and pieces.Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I love this and thanks so much for the embossing tutorial. I got the diffusers but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...