8 October 2012

Snow Problem

So for those of you kind and wonderful peeps who have been following me recently and seen the Christmas tab collection grow here's another in the 'series'. It was totally inspired by Hels Sheridan's amazing creation for her latest challenge - Sunday Stampers 226 Snowflakes and will be entered into this challenge.


I used Hels' instructions for the background (DI Picket Fence/Stormy Sky smooshed onto white card, snowflakes then stamped over with Picket Fence and restamped with Silver Versacolor/clear embossing powder/silver gel pen to make them stand out). So far so good.


Sentiment, check, twiddly bits at the top, check. Now for the main snowflake.


Aahh. No Tim Holtz snowflake die or anything closely resembling it, but at this point a tutorial by Sue Wilson (on Create and Craft tv) sprung to mind. Out came the Spellbinders Fleur de Lis squares dies - two each of the two middle sizes - and after some folding and fiddling hey presto! Having cut them with thin silver mirror card Hels' comment about using white alcohol ink rang bells so I dropped some Ranger White Mixative alcohol ink onto the larger one to create random patches. The smaller one got a mix of Ranger White and Copper Mixative and Stonewashed alcohol inks blotted/dropped to create a mottled effect. A thin Memory Box branch, a handcut glitter card snowflake and another of Dot's glass beads and that was it, job done:) If I get time (?!)  futher snowflake experimentation may need to take place as I had a few more thoughts about how to make it more lacy afterwards. For now I have four urgent projects which must get done, amongst other things.
Thank you for stopping by and for your much appreciated comments. Hugs, Buttons x

27 comments:

  1. Really stunning tag Buttons. Gorgeous colours and background and do you know I really thought you'd actually used the new TH snowflake die! Amazing looking improvisation.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. CORRRR, now that IS LUSH!!! Totes love how you made the snowflakes, genius! Yep, Plato did sooo well yesterday, can't wait for Brands!! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww Buttons, the snowflake really is a great eyecatcher...amazing! A very nice wintertag!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buttons
    You are creating such amazing festive themed tags.
    Fabulous.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors of your card! cold and beauty :) Hugs, Magdalena from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is truly inspired Buttons, a totally genius idea to use that die for your snowflake, I love it! Wow. Well done for thinking that one up my friend, you are a true inspiration to us all. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tag is gorgeous! I so love snowflake rosette! I can't wait to get mine. Thank you so much for the very sweet comment you left on my blog regarding my rusty book of spells. It was so much fun to do. That Andy Skinner is a genius! :) Have a wonderful week!
    <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're way too clever...cleverer than a clever thing that's very clever! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blue on your tag Buttons, but sadly I have not got the metallic stains. Fabulous Snowflake. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning tag and well done for the improvisation in making the snowflake - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful snowflake! Love the metallic look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, Buttons! I love the mottling on the snowflake - I'll have to go and look at the Fleur de Lis dies to understand exactly how clever you've been, but it looks sensational! Gorgeous background too, and such pretty touches of red.

    Yes, I remember the Housemartins too - Happy Hour might just be the happy music I need! And you're right on the money as usual - I'm pretty sure most of the time that strong wins over lonely!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, I really love the snowflake and the depth of colour, amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to make a snowflake rosette! Very pretty tag!! hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh this is lovely - I love your snowflake - I caved straight in and ordered both sets of his snowflakes as I couldnt decide which to have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im not an xmas fan but this is great, I love the snow flake, fleur de lis are one of my fave shapes to use and I love the layering on the snow flake. colour choice is awesome. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab snowflake Buttons which makes a world of difference when you haven't got the TH one (you don't need it though!!). I love the colours, the touches of sparkle and the little pops of red finish this little beauty perfectly.
    Juliaxxx
    Not sure if you get the reply from comments on my blog so just thought I'd mention that my MMM card image was printed on sticky back canvas! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous, who needs Tims die when you can improvise like this. I must admit to ordering so metallic distress stains after seeing your tag, so it's all your fault lol x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! That snowflake rosetts is beyond stunning... love how you colored it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really dynamic (no pun intended!) Buttons! I love the touch of red too. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tag - love your two tone snowflake!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - what a fabulous tag. LOVE the snowflake.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've totally nailed that background - it looks great and I love that touch of red.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am now thinking that I didn't need the Timmy snowflake-this is so amazing. Love the colours but I am totally amazed how you made this. Will check out Sue Wilsons tut. Thanks for the inspiration. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! That is fabulous! I've just bought some square thingies and you've inspired me to give them a try to do this rather than dash out in search of another new one! Thank you Buttons, EmmiLu!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...