22 October 2012

Christmas is getting earlier!


Welcome to my new followers and to those who have visited before. Your company and comments are, as always, very much appreciated. Has anyone else noticed how the shops seem to move smoothly from suncream to Santa sacks before people's tans have even faded these days? Well I'm using that as a thinly veiled excuse for using Autumnal colours on this Christmas tag. It all started with a happy accident.


Believe it or not those holly leaves started life as bits of bright yellow card. I'm not a fan of yellow so I used a piece of card as a mask for a tree (see HERE). Now what you can't see is the reverse of that tag, namely my failed first attempt. Originally I blended over the tag with DI Walnut Stain and then stencilled over it using my new Impressabilities stencil (from Anne) with DI Stormy Sky. It all got a bit too dark, so I turned the tag over and started again, but it left a very pretty Christmas tree! So I played with the stencil/different card colours (come back Wednesday to see my experiments:) and used that yellow card combo for these leaves.


Another happy accident happened when those leaves were piled onto my Basic Grey Jovial paper pad and a match made in heaven revealed itself. Mind you, the leaves needed a matting layer of olive card to make them stand out properly and the touches of glossy accents and red brought it to life.


One last vital element - hopefully you can spot the difference between the the original paper underneath and the final tag. Yep, stencilled holly leaves in DI Antique Linen and Walnut Stain, an idea courtesy of the genius that is Butterfly. So, although it's intended for use on a Christmas card, this tag has more than a touch of what are traditionally 'Fall' colours. And for that reason I am entering it into the current Anything But A Card challenge which asks for Halloween, Fall or Fall Colours.

Right, it's a busy and exciting week ahead, what with WOYWW and a very special post on Thursday so I hope you can join me. For now hope you have a great week ahead, hugs Buttons x

17 comments:

  1. Experiments which push you in a different direction are the BEST Buttons. I totally agree with you about yellow - love when I see it on other people's work but always find it tricky.
    The match up you achieved is super Duper with all the textures adding to the richness of your colours. Just wonderful!
    Thank you for joining in at Anything But A Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious, Buttons! Love the addition of brown to the traditional Christmas colours, just gives it a gorgeous grungy vintage-ness. And I love your happy accidents - the leaves are great, and work so well against the paper. Thank you for the shout out, but I think the real genius here is the glossy accents on those baubles as the finishing touch on a really cracking festive tag!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not keen on yellow either - for me it's the Marmite of colours, you either love it or hate it! However, I like what you've done to it - you'd hardly guess those leaves were ever anything than just the perfect colour. And you've used my all-time favourite Christmas paper too and very cleverly too. This is a tag I'd love to have hanging in my lounge at Christmas - it's truly gorgeous :)) Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love happy accidents?! The fall colors are perfect for your gorgeous vintage tag! The holly shadow on the background ties all of the elements together and I love the glossy ornaments and shiny berries! Thanks so much for joining us at ABAC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't ya just love it when a happy accident comes together in a smash hit? I truly LOVE this tag!! well done you!! Hugs from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tag. I love the traditional elements. Thanks for joining us over at ABAC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning inky, gorgeous tag Buttons! Love all the little details such as the stencilling in the background, the little touches of red and glossy accents and the matting of the leaves - very clever! Beautifully Christmas in Autumnal colours - if that makes sense!
    Juliaxxx
    (so glad you joined us at Anything But A Card too! xxx)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the vintage feel this has , the stencilled idea from Alsion looks great ..I love the touchesof glossy accents..and if you have madethose leaves from yellow card!!! You are amazing! Hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Buttons, happy accidents are just the best when they turn out well and this certainly has! That paper is fabulous, the stencilling under the holly leaves is gorgeous, love the pops of glossy accents and the wording is stunning. Gorgeous colours, gorgeous tag! Thanks for the mention too. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. very pretty! It's always good to get an early start on holiday crafting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is, but they do say snow is on the way next week - lol

    Lovely tag, the holly is fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you sharing your victories and the dreaded fails. I fail more than do a victory dance but this sure did turn out fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a different creation...you're so artistic Buttons...great work in total!!

    Greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to look 3 times...the paper and leaves look like silk to me! What a super smooth finish with your coloration! This tag is unique and just eye candy!!! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you've transformed the background paper and the yellow card (you'd never know it started as that). Love it and I'm sure I have some nasty colours in my stash too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just delightful. I love it.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tag, love every detail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...