13 May 2016

Wild Wood

Hi everyone and welcome. Short and sweet from me today as the deadlines are piling up! I'm back to creating another 8x8 canvas - this has become my go to base, larger than a card and capable of taking everything I throw at it without being too overwhelming!!!

This came about as a result of the latest Creative Carte Blanche challenge - 'Wood, a Word and Something Wild'. I loved the background made for my March Tim Holtz Tag project HERE and it seemed such a shame to cover it, so this is a 'developed' version...


The background was stencilled with Wildflowers using Texture Paste and the whole background covered in blended Distress Crayons in blues, greens and pinks/purples. In a change from the original I covered the whole canvas with a hick layer of Crazing Distress Collage Medium to add age (this also helps to blend the crayons even further) then used a little Antique Linen Distress Stain to enhance the cracks and a layer of Glue n Seal to stabilise the surface. The words (sorry, plural not singular as the challenge specified!) were stencilled using the Traveler stencil and Picket Fence Distress Paint. The die cut Wildflowers were cut from Coredinations card and covered in Glossy Accents.



The wood element was easy - the 'picket fence' was created using some of the wooden spacers that come with the canvases. I covered them in more Picket Fence Distress Paint and sanded them back a little for a worn look. They looked a little boring just layered over the background on their own so I added various tickets and tags from the Ephemera collections underneath and on top. With a parcel of goodies having just arrived I was excited to test out the stamps from the Sideshow set and used the numbers with Watering Can Archival Ink. You'll also spot dots of Pewter Liquid Pearls, a strip of Linen Ribbon and a Quote Band highlighted with the Picket Fence Distress Crayon. It all looked a little 'bottom heavy' so, if in doubt add a butterfly!. Mine were made from one of the Textile Surfaces (love that these are already adhesive on the back) stamped with the Sideshow numbers and Watering Can Archival Ink again and layered onto Clearly for Art Modeling Film before being cut with a Movers and Shapers die. I used the Pewter Liquid Pearls again to add dimension to the butterfly body.



I had so much fun just going with the flow and creating this canvas with some of my new goodies.
It will be entered into the following challenges;
Creative Carte Blanche - 'Wood, a Word and Something Wild'
Simon Says Stamp Monday - 'Emboss It' (stencilled texture paste)
Country View Challenges - 'Use A Stencil' (two used)
I was thrilled to have been picked as a Top 3 Winner for last month's challenge!
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - 'Anything Goes - Mixed Media'
Emerald Creek Dares - 'The B's' (I've added the butterflies)
Creative Artiste Challenges - 'Anything Goes'
The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #24 - 'Butterflies and Blooms'

Phew! There are a few more projects in the pipeline to share but for now have a creative time and take care of yourselves. Jenny xxx


29 comments:

  1. Jenny, Jenny - you are just such a delight. Your WILD WOOD is just WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL. Love the background - the color, the crackle and the fun stenciling. And your glossy accents flowers are just soooo FUN. But - the 'piece de resistance' is your fence. WOW WOW WOW. Totally the MOST CREATIVE Fence EVER. Every fraction of an inch of it is just total EYE CANDY. I didn't have to "look far for the presence of wonder" - it came to me from YOU and started my day off fabulously. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely creation Jenny.
    Gr, Elly

    Ps, I have a blogcandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a stunning card Jenny with lots of wonderful details. I especially love the wallflowers, which are my favourites

    Have a lovely weekend

    Hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This is just fabulous, Jenny. I absolutely love your wonky picket fence. The tickets, the Perfect Pearls dots, the angles, all the interesting details make it such an eye catcher!! Multiple words are just fine, you have to go where your art takes you. What a brilliant entry, thank you for joining in with us at Creative Carte Blanche. We're lucky to have you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project. I love it!!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. jenny, there's so mcuh I want to say about this beautiful canvas, but I'm so short on time! I just will have to say your techniques are fabulous as always and your work is tremendously inspiring and lovely to admire! And you achieved THE BEST cracks with that crazing. I must pop over and have some craft time with you so you can teach me all your wonderful secrets! He! He! Hugs! PS I'm so happy to see you entering Emerald Creek Dares!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great ideas on this very colourful project

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your quirky fence with your wood remnants. A beautiful project.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely stunning!! That is the most creative, fabulous fence I've ever seen!! I love the layers!! The background colors and flowers are gorgeous!! Wow!! I love, love this!! So beautiful!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much love for this project! Especially the brilliant picket fence idea! Thank you for sharing it over at the 'Dares'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Just love it"! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  12. super work Jenny and I adore your fence - I seem to have oodles of those things! Brilliant colours too! Thanks for joining us at Countryview crafts this month too and good luck! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Jenny. Love the idea of the fenced wildflowers, such a great idea for the canvas stretchers. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at the picket fence Jenny, I just love how you created it and of course the wildflowers are stunning - as is the design! Love the way you used the crayons and the butterflies are delightful... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous and creative canvas with lots of interesting and tactile details! Thanks you for joining us at Country View Challenges this month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! This is a fab canvas! Love everything about it. So many layers & elements to look at. Great colour combo too. Great way to use those spacers - makes a great fence.
    Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great piece! There are so many details to love about it. One of my favorite things is how you built the fence! I love the whimsical look of it and how you mixed in the tickets with it. I also really like the green background and how the flowers have such a great dimensional look. You've created a wonderful scene and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your work. Thank you so much for sharing it with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this canvas Jenny, the picket fence is superb xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super clever use of the canvas spacers for your fence! I'm loving all the layers and textures on your fun canvas. The crackle, the shine, the paint, the linen, it all comes together perfectly. Always so happy when you join us at Creative Carte Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The play on texture is so much fun! I haven't used the crayons yet but it works great in the project. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny!!! This is SUCH an ingenious piece! Your interpretation of the 3Ws is a whimsical wonderful piece! I adore your colors, your wild flowers, your fence and the stenciled words in the background. The fence...my favorite! I love that you used wood spacers and added ephemera and stamping to the picket fence (appropriately named) paint. It is adorable! Thank you for sharing your art, the steps and your talent with us at Creative Carte Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow love how your canvas turned out, lots and lots of creativity done here
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
    Debbie DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful canvas!!! I love the fence!!! Thanks for joining the USE A STENCIL challenge on Country View Challenges blog this month!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous, love the layers!!! Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Dare Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. AMAZING! I absolutely adore and love your canvas - it made me smile at your creativity!! I was trying to make a fence on a canvas this week and I was really struggling - thank you for the inspiration to think outside the box!! Thank you for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. To keep in sync with the W's - Wonderful work! Jenny. Clever, inspirational use of the wooden spacers and how you've laid them out.
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jenny this is fabulous! Love your little wooden fence! So pretty! Clever and love all your techniques! Thank you for playing along with us at Creative Carte Blanche!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning Jenny, love all the detail here, thank your for sharing with us at Creative Artiste the Mixed Media Blog, best of luck, hugs Avril Watson DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...