Hi everyone and welcome! Over at Frilly and Funkie it's my turn to host the next challenge 'Enjoy your Embossing'. As you might guess it's all about embossing! Find those all important prizes and entry details HERE. Officially I'm sharing my Funkie DT project next Wednesday but just couldn't resist the chance to show something else I've been working on which is all about embossing.
For those who caught Georgie Connelly's recent post HERE (if you haven't you must!) you'll have seen her incredible hand crafted book, inspired by the work of Luthien Thye from Altered Alchemy. We've both been drooling over it and talking about giving it a go.
So now, with Georgie's encouragement, it's my turn to share (be gentle with me!)...
~ Caelataque In Libro ~
So first up (and essentially) where to start with creating a book from scratch. For me it was a new Sizzix die I got from the fabulous Eileen Hull Designs. Called 'Needle Book' it is a beautiful design that easily cut a mount-board base onto which I could add a die cut damask design. In hindsight I might have been better simply embossing the card before cutting! (note to self) but being as it was my first venture into book making it was an opportunity to learn from my 'mistakes'. I also cut a second needle book shape from plain kraft card onto which I could attach the thicker covers. This meant the spine could remain thin and flexible enough to add painted canvas to.
The main front and back covers were covered in a blend of Broken China, Peeled Paint and Salty Ocean Distress Paints (these blend so well with a fine spritz of water). Then came embossing powders; I love to mix mine to achieve different effects. In this case I used an initial layer of Ranger Silver Embossing Powder on the raised areas before re-embossing with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder. When they melt together the silver takes on a grainier appearance which, when rubbed over with Archival Ink (Potting Soil) catches in random areas. Finally I pounced a mix of Mushroom, Stream and Meadow Alcohol Inks on top to add to the jewel-like quality of the embossing.
I used Ground Espresso Distress Paint to colour the edges of the cover and canvas spine before turning my attention to the centre of the front cover. Book paper, coloured with Frayed Burlap Distress Stain and burned at the edges with a candle flame, was layered under a couple of filigree metal embellishments (embossed with more Silver Embossing Powder and coloured with the same mix of alcohol inks mentioned earlier) a small brass button and a little gem coloured with Cranberry Alcohol Ink.
The signatures were cut from a plain manilla folder, distressed at the edges and dry embossed for interest. Next time I'll have a bash at making dirtier bespoke papers but for now the process of hand stitching the signatures into the spine and attaching a ribbon 'marker' was enough to tackle.
It's amazing what a spot of embossing can do to a project and I hope it lives up to expectations in some way. This is definitely an addictive process and with more Eileen Hull Designs covers in different sizes/shapes to work with the possibilities are pretty much endless!
I hope you pop over to see what my amazing Frilly team mates have to show you and look forward to seeing your own embossed projects entered into the challenge. Next week the Funkie side of the team (me included) will share more inspiration, and tomorrow we have a special Guest Designer posting her own project so if you're stuck for ideas there's plenty to get you started right there!
For now have a great day and take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx