20 March 2018

Vintage Sewing Box as part of Getting Organised with Eileen Hull Designs (including a crinoline flower tutorial)

Hi everyone and welcome. Well officially Spring has arrived, though I wish the weather would take note of that fact!!! Ignoring the snow and ice, I'm thrilled to have had a new Wendy Vecchi Spring canvas tutorial published on the Ranger Ink blog. It uses lots of the 2018 releases from Ranger including Wendy's new Archival Ink colours, Perfect Cardstock and the brilliant Detail Blending Tools. I would love for you to check it out HERE and let me know what you think.

Turning to today's blog post, and traditionally at this time of year our thoughts turn to Spring cleaning and clearing the clutter. For those of us with an ever increasing mountain of craft supplies keeping them in order is essential! So throughout March Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team are getting organised using Eileen's fabulous die designs from Sizzix.

Vintage Sewing Box


Whenever my sewing machine comes out there are a few essentials needed; reels of cotton with their corresponding bobbins, pins, un-picker, scissors, needles etc. Having been inspired by a small sewing box created by Jennalee Anderson I decided to make one of my own. I used Eileen's 'Trinket Box' Scoreboards XL Die from Sizzix to make the box - a tutorial for creating it can be found on my blog HERE. To add the pincushion part at the top I inserted a piece of felt from the reverse through the oval cut out, stuffing it with toy wadding before gluing in place the smaller lid pieces on the underside.


The Close Up Details


Looking inside you can see just how much this 'Tardis like' little box can hold! Yet its petite size (measuring just 5" x 3 1/2") means that this box can be stored on your sewing machine platform comfortably, meaning it will always be ready to hand when you need to get stitching.


Keeping the decoration relatively simple, the design papers from The Far East Stack by DCWV have been accented with some black lace trim and there are a few sewing themed embellishments on the lid. Alongside the little brass scissors and buttons I cut a 'spool' from card and wrapped cotton thread around it. The wire wool curls were shaped using Eileen's 'Twist N Style Tool' and I added a vintage style crinoline flower to complete the ensemble. For those who'd like to create their own flowers I've added a tutorial below.


Crinoline Flower Tutorial


My little flower was inspired by those created by Tammy Tutterow and Linda Coughlin. Here's how it came together;


Cut flower shaped from white crinoline using the die from Eileen's 'Stitchy Flowers & Leaf' Thinlits Die Set by Sizzix. You will need three flower shapes for each completed flower.


Spray each flower shape with Antique Linen Distress Spray Stain and allow to dry (or dry with a heat tool).


Give the flowers an aged watermarked feel by spritzing them with water, allowing it to react with the ink before dabbing with some tissue.


Whilst still damp scrunch each flower shape into a ball, clamp together with tweezers and dry with a heat tool.


Unfurl each flower piece and layer three together. Stitch the layers together in the centre to secure in place.


To finish, cut white centre stamens using the die from the same Stitchy Flowers & Leaf set (I used Sizzix Paper Leather for its durability but you could use card). Use strong glue to attach it to the centre of the flower, then add a bead of 'Onyx Pearl' Liquid Pearls from Ranger in the centre, allowing it to air dry. I have an idea for using more of these flowers so do stay tuned for that!

Well that's my sewing essentials taken care of, now my thoughts turn to dealing with some of my other crafting supplies! My team mates have been putting together their own organisation projects and I know it has inspired me to make more having seen what they've done. Make sure you check out Eileen Hull's website throughout March to see their clever ideas.

I'll be back again tomorrow with a new Frilly and Funkie DT project for the current challenge. Until then take care of yourselves and get creative!

Jenny xxx

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Jenny, stunning colour combination and I adore your pincushion. Stunning flower too. Tracy ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, your sewing box is just gorgeous. I love how you used so many different elements to make it- every detail is perfect! It's funny how that just gave me an idea- we are fueled by each other's vision and I love that :-) Thanks for using my dies to make such pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of using this die to create a pincushion, I remember Jennalee’s post and was so taken with it. The crinoline flower is the perfect addition to this fabulous make! I just love the papers you’ve chosen and all the details you’ve added! Super way to keep those loose pins and etc organized

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful creation Jenny, the DCWV papers are so pretty and the pincushion element is gorgeous. Such a versatile die and you have used it beautifully! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew sweet! I love the pincushion; so functional. Your work is immaculate! And that pretty crinoline flower is the perfect finishing touch! I was just going to get out my crinoline and make a few flowers, but I'm sur ethey won't turn out this pretty. Thank you for the inspiration! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!!!!!!! Those boxes are like the Tardis - you can fit so much in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Jenny! And what a great idea. I love the pincushion and the flowers and colours are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, love the pincushion - great idea . Thanks for showing how you made your lovely delicate flowers too x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...