10 June 2014

Go Stencil!

Hi everyone. Thought I'd make a more prompt entry to this month's Tim Holtz 2014 tag challenge after the last gasp effort in May. This month he's focussing on using stencils and I had a ball putting a spin on his technique. Isn't it wonderful to be given a free tutorial that you can choose to follow step by step or take in your own direction depending on how confident you feel? Thank you Mr Holtz x


Using a mix of Aged Mahogany, Victorian Velvet and Tattered Rose inks through the Cargo stencil I added it to the first half of the watercolour paper background. To make the lettering stand out further I also embossed it. That gave me the idea to flip the technique, embossing the second side before dipping it into the same misted inks on my craft mat. You'll notice the conjoined background was ink blended along the edges using Frayed Burlap.


To blend the boundary between the two sides I added some texture paste through the Dot Fade stencil and after it dried inked over it. Then it got back on 'Tim's track' as I stamped the leaves and the wreath in Archival ink onto the background, then stamped the same leaves on more paper, fussy cutting, painting and inking them as described in the June tag instructions. To give them more dimension they were shaped with embossing tools.


Time to embellish; I love the washer border and leaf stems cut and distressed from kraft core, and clear embossing some extra leaves (coloured with Distress Stains) added some textural contrast. It's great to have a supply of unaltered book page flowers cut for when you want to create a fluffy bloom. Mixed Distress Glitters in the centre provided that touch of sparkle.


To finish I added a simple saying and also included a small homage to Tim's original tag; with a little piece of Wildflower paper mounted on card left over from my Field Notes mini book, I stamped a butterfly from the Papillon set.


A quick unsolicited plug here for Claudine Helmuth's latest online class; Composition for Collage is a must in my humble opinion as this amazing designer passes on her wealth of knowledge. She tells you more about it in a short video and the month long class starts on June 19th. Not sure? We spend a small fortune on craft products yet have our doubts about what we've produced and it's usually down to the composition. Get that bit right and you can create something amazing with the most basic supplies. Hopefully see you there!

Tomorrow I'll be back with some cards for the current Frilly and Funkie challenge 'For All Our Fathers'. Hope to see you back then. For now take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx




30 comments:

  1. Stunning yet subtle in a way. Really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Jenny. Love all the colour tones. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Jenny,
    Once again another stunning creation, your talents are amazing.
    Love all the colours, the brilliant flower and those great leaves. Your background and design is fantastic.
    Have a great day
    Hugs

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny this is wonderful. I love the idea of mirroring the technique and your joining of the two sides is seamless. Fab colours too and as usual wonderful composition. Going to sign up for Claudines workshop! Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work - excellent colour combination and what a good tip to have a ready supply of book page flowers, must remember that one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing creation. Lots of great techniques and beautiful shades of the chosen colours

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant card Jenny! Love how you have taken Tim's techniques and run with them!! Your central flower looks wonderful on top of those beautifully shaped leaves and the butterfly just adds the perfect finishing touch! Great textures everywhere.

    Off to check Claudie's class, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I just have to say it - this is my favourite ever card that you have made! I love the colour tones, the embossing, those stunning leaves, the beautiful flower - love, love, love this!!

    I got notification of the class and did wonder - perhaps I should take your advice and sign up - composition is not my strong point! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is absolutely stunning.I love it a lot.
    Greetings
    Felicie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card, I love the leaves and it is a lovely colour. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card Jenny, the background is so eye catching and I love your flower and leaves . Gorgeous composition too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely background Jenny and it's a great card in total!
    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the card Jenny especially the soft background. Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have treated us with another stunning card Jenny - Thank you. I say this all the time but your composition and colourways are always spot on and so inspirational. The mix of textures are lovely. I love the way you have added the embossing of the cargo stencil to make it stand out more and the heat embossed leaves and glitter flower centres all add to making this card very special. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great card. Love the colors. And how you blended the two sides together. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a beautiful take on tims tag jenny - i love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm at a loss for words that haven't already been said, but suffice it to say, your pictures are exquisite in how they show off your immense talent. This is WONDERFUL! Filled with textures that make me smile from ear to ear.
    Beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous take on T!m's tag Alison, love your leaves, they look real!!

    Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so pretty Jenny!! I LOVE your background, the colours, flowers and leaves. I will also try to not make my 12 tags project in the last minute this month. Let's see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Superb background, Jenny! I love the richness of colour and the leaves look fab! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really amazing Jenny, so beautiful. The colors all blend nicely together. Awesome.
    Crafty greetings from Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  22. One word Jenny ..... stunning!!
    Love everything about it .... hugs Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a brilliant combination of stencilling and embossing to get those marvellous textural layers... and the colours are so fresh and pretty - this is another stunner, Jenny!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was just thinking how beautiful your leaves were and then I saw the stamp set you used at the end of your post and I bought that set for the knife, fork and spoon...had forgotten the leaves on it till now. Thank you for the inspiration. Off to find my stamp set...beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  25. An amazing take on Tim's tag. Fabulous background and great elements.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning outcome on this wonderful take of Tim's tag this month Jenny. The contrasting inked and embossed background is a wonderful backdrop for your beautiful floral focus. As always your design flair has taken us off in a fabulous and unique direction, I just love your creative mind. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just simply amazing!! Love how you've taken Tim's technique and made it your own and so beautifully too!!! Love, love, love this!!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not sure you need to do a class on composition - your projects always look perfect to me. I love the subtle colour scheme on this 'tag' Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing take on Tim's tag Jenny. The background is wonderful and the florals stunning.

    TFS and hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...