Hi everyone and welcome. Hands up who suffers from 'perfectionism'?... Thank goodness I'm not the only one!! The latest of Linda Ledbetter's Compendium of Curiosities 3 challenges gets to grips with the Distress Glitter technique as explained by Tim Holtz on Page 56 of his latest book, and this time it's being sponsored by The Funkie Junkie Boutique. There are also other prizes up for grabs from Tim and Mario no less!
The Design Team inspiration is outstanding and definitely pushes up the bar for those of us attempting to emulate them. And for that reason I made one card, wasn't sure it was good enough and made another! I can't go into details but it had a lot to do with the amount of glue...
This, then, is my 'official entry'. I love mixing the glitters (you'll have seen that in the April 2014 issue of Craft Stamper magazine) and the Frameworks diecuts lend themselves to this idea. Here you've got Tarnished Brass, Antique Linen and Pumice Stone Distress Glitters.
Like the backing 'paper'? It's not bought but created using my current obsession, the 'Distress Damask' stamp set. Stamped in Brushed Pewter Distress Paint it works perfectly as a resist to the blend of inks over the top.
I created an acetate stencil from the Frameworks die and its packaging so that ink can be blended through it too. If you haven't yet got a mini ink blending tool put it on the priority list as it is so much easier to apply ink through more detailed and smaller stencils with it.
The smallest of the Movers and Shapers ovals fits perfectly inside the laurel wreath so cutting one from Kraft Coredinations created the right size of plaque for the old jalopy. To finish some more arrows (cut and rub ons) and the sentiment, as this is intended for someone in particular...
And then on to the 'reject' which was a real pain to photograph - the glitter didn't seem to glisten as well until the sun made an appearance, but as I say, this may have come down to the amount of glue. Festive Berries replaced Pumice Stone on this Frameworks die cut and I added some charity shop bought seed beads and Glossy Accents for extra texture.
I created another of those Distress Damask backgrounds using a different one of the pattern shapes and Antique Linen Distress Paint as the resist. The ink blending and stencilling worked in the same way as the last card.
For this one the dragonfly stamp took centre stage; rather than let it get lost behind the glittered strip I cut another dragonfly and circular sentiment from Clearly for Art so they could be shaped and layered over it. The details were also highlighted by water-colouring around the stamped image with Distress Markers and a fine detail brush. To match the 'blueprint' look I drew lines around the edges of the card and painted them in the same way.
As I don't want to see this card (which I do like really) go to 'waste' I'm entering it into the current Country View Challenge - Nature's Glories, sponsored by Country View Crafts.
With the sun still out and the nights so much lighter it feels like this weekend should be a good one, even though it's exam/revision central around here. Definitely time to break out the barbecue and get in that garden to enjoy the good weather while it lasts! Hope you have a great weekend whatever you are going to be getting up to.
Take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx