Hi everyone. Thank you for joining me today as I share my take on Tim Holtz' April tag. This one has got me so excited - I love the way Tim has used Distress Paints and Inks to create a faux metal finish on plain card. Of course you'll notice that panels were created for cards rather than for tags. For the first version Tim's recipe was followed for the verdigris finish. Then for the second version different colours were used and I came up with a rust finish that has worked well too I think.
The recipes are simple enough but there is a suggestion I would make here. The new Metallic Distress Paints are only just being released this week so most of us won't have them yet, and there is always that question to tackle - "Do we really need them?"
For the metallic element in each of these I used Metallic Distress Stains, but they aren't nearly as opaque as Distress Paints so it took several layers to get a similar (but not the same) effect. And then of course other types of paint don't wick/marble when spritzed with water either. In short? I'm not paid by Ranger to say this but the new Metallic Distress Paints are a must in my view.
Now, for those recipes. Verdigris; Distress Paints Weathered Wood/Salty Ocean/Broken China/Forest Moss/Peeled Paint, Distress Stain Antiqued Bronze, Distress Inks Pine Needles/Faded Jeans/Vintage Photo/Walnut Stain. Rust; Distress Paints Frayed Burlap/Vintage Photo/Walnut Stain/Spiced Marmalade/Rusty Hinge, Distress Stain Tarnished Brass, Distress Inks Rusty Hinge/Tea Dye/Walnut Stain/Vintage Photo. Just follow Tim's instructions for the way to apply them HERE.
Having created each panel I used Archival ink to stamp the Papillon background and three of the butterflies. Two of these were enhanced by stamping the same images into black UTEE. Then, just like Tim did with his alpha parts, the same Distress Paints/Stains were dabbed and rubbed onto them. Then they were re-stamped with Archival ink. The largest butterfly was stamped onto acetate and coloured on the reverse with co-ordinating alcohol inks. Then they were heated to distort the wings and stapled in place. The seam binding was treated as recommended (again, I think this has such a wonderful ageing effect).
Some cardstock tape measures were created using one of the new embossing folders. The metal elements came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique - Linda has a large range of beautiful and affordable filigree items which have the added benefit of being pliable enough to be cut in half (the buckle became two hinges for each panel). They also had Distress Paint applied.
These came out even better than I expected and will be entered into the following challenge;
There's a list of the goodies used below, and just a quick reminder that if you haven't seen The Funkie Junkie Boutique Facebook page there's a 10% 'Like Us On Facebook' discount available HERE valid until 12th April 2013 (including those new Metallic Distress Paints!)
Take care of yourselves and thanks again for joining me, hugs Jenny xxx